Location: Long Beach, CA
Department: Marine Transportation
Reports to: Port Captain, Vessel Captain
Schedule: This is a full-time position. Days and hours are project specific and may require significant time away from home. This position frequently requires long hours and weekend work, as well as offshore travel.
The Deckhand has a physically strenuous and demanding job. There will be lifting, pulling, and operating heavy equipment and objects. Employee must also meet the vision standards and have adequate depth perception for navigation in close quarters, as well as the adequate hearing to ensure personal safety while working in a machinery space with a high level of background noise.
Deck hands will have to work outside in all weather conditions, and must be prepared for heat and cold. Employee may be exposed to unpleasant sights and smells and may at times be exposed to dangerous and/or toxic substances. All employees will be expected to take necessary precautions to protect eyes, nose, and skin from irritation and infection.
· Attention to detail / excellent organizational skills.
· Agility to traverse uneven ground and to walk, gangways at various heights.
· Agility to bend, stoop, or squat frequently and climb high steps/ladders several times a day.
· Ability to lift 100 pounds safely. Moving equipment that is heavy, large, or awkward.
· Physical dexterity and strength to catch and handle lines, make up tows with wire rigging; operate deck machinery; work on equipment that is poorly accessible.
· Ability to work below decks in an area that may experience periods of darkness; work in confined spaces.
· Ability to think clearly during stressful situations or during an emergency so as to perform emergency duties and use emergency equipment onboard vessel
· Demonstrate good personal hygiene, maintaining cleanliness at all times.
· Understand and respect the chain of command. Ability to take direction no matter how it is given.
Your application was submitted successfully.